hi! my name is oliver and i need your help! please read:
i’m a transgender male who is struggling to raise money for top surgery. i’ve been trying to put aside money to go towards it, but it’s very hard to save up for it since i also need to save to go to school, pay bills, etc.
i came out over a year ago to my friends, and only recently to my mother who isn’t exactly supportive. luckily i have many friends who support and love me and have really helped with my depression and social anxiety. before i came out i was a very shy, self-conscious person. i have gained a lot of confidence since then. but not even all the confidence in the world could change the dysphoria i have because of my chest.
i’ve been binding for quite a while, even before i came out as trans. it’s very physically straining. in fact binding can cause serious health risks, including lung problems, back problems, decreased blood flow to the heart, blood clots, bruising, and even broken ribs. i wish i didn’t have to bind but i’m about a 34D.
i hate to ask for money, but even if it’s just an extra dollar you can spare makes a difference and it would mean so much to me.
even if you can’t spare any change, please spread the word! thank you so much!!!!
I have some concerns based just on the information in this post.
- Do you have a surgeon in mind?
- Do you know what that surgeon requires in terms of documentation, etc.?
- Do you know what kind of surgery you are likely to get?
- Have you been seeing a therapist who can write you a letter of recommendation? I do not know of a surgeon who will operate without a letter from a therapist stating that they believe surgery to be the right option for you.
- Have you considered getting your surgery covered by the MSP? Top surgery is covered under even the most basic health plan, and the process has been simplified and made less restrictive in recent years.
- Will your home situation be safe if you start taking steps to medically transition? If your parents are not supportive, do you have any kind of recourse if things escalate or if you cannot stay at home any more?
- Do you have anyone who can go with you to take care of you post-op? You will not be able to take care of yourself for at least a week after surgery.
- Have you factored in the cost of transportation and accommodation? When I went, airfare, taxis, buses, the hotel, and food cost over $2000.
- Have you been cleared by your doctor as healthy enough to undergo surgery? The very least you need to do is make sure your body can withstand anaesthesia and surgery.
This is not a minor undertaking, and from just this post it doesn’t look like you have taken all the necessities into consideration. If you have taken care of those prerequisites, that is information that should be included in a post in which you ask for money.